Recent peer-reviewed articles about women in science
Did we miss an important paper or research report? Please tell let us know!
From The Wildlife Society: An Annotated Bibliography: Diversity and Women in Wildlife
2011 and before
- Beneson et al. (2014) Current Biology "Rank influences human sex differences in dyadic cooperation" - see media here
- Casadevalla & Handelsman (2014) mBio "The Presence of Female Conveners Correlates with a Higher Proportion of Female Speakers at Scientific Symposia" #openaccess and some popular media about this article on Jonathan Eisen's blog, The Atlantic, and Inside Higher Ed
- Cho et al. (2014) PeerJ "Women are underrepresented on the editorial boards of journals in environmental biology and natural resource management" #openaccess
- Clancy et al. 2014 "Survey of Academic Field Experiences (SAFE): Trainees Report Harassment and Assault" PLoS ONE #openaccess
- Darling (2014) Conservation Biology "Use of double-blind peer review to increase author diversity"
- Foster et al. (2014) Conservation Biology "Increasing the Diversity of U.S. Conservation Science Professionals via the Society for Conservation Biology"
- Goldin (2014) American Economic Review "A Grand Gender Convergence: Its Last Chapter"
- Hartten and LeMone (2014) Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc How representative are AMS demographic surveys?
- McClelland and Holland (2014) Psychology of Women Quarterly '"You, Me, or Her: Leaders’ Perceptions of Responsibility for Increasing Gender Diversity in STEM Departments"
- Milkman et al. (2014) Social Science Research Network "What Happens Before? A Field Experiment Exploring How Pay and Representation Differentially Shape Bias on the Pathway into Organizations" and popular media here
- Milkman et al. (2014) Psychological Science "Temporal Distance and Discrimination: An Audit Study in Academia" and popular media here
- Pain (2014) Science Careers "More Action Needed to Retain Women in Science"
- Perryman, N. and S. Theiss (2014): Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., “"Weather girls” on the big screen: stereotypes, sex appeal, and science."
- Reid (2014) Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific "Gender-Correlated Systematics in HST Proposal Selection"
- Reuben et al. (2014) PNAS "How stereotypes impair women’s careers in science"
- Sheltzer and Smith (2014) PNAS "Elite male faculty in the life sciences employ fewer women" #openaccess - covered in Science and Slate
- Avallone, et al. (2013) Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. "Supporting the Retention and Advancement of Women in the Atmospheric Sciences: What Women Are Saying"
- Eddy et al. (2013) CBE Life Sciences Education "Gender gaps in achievement and participation in multiple introductory biology classrooms"
- Johnson et al. (2013) Science Communication "Narratives of science outreach in elite contexts of academic science"
- Larivière et al. (2013) Nature "Bibliometrics: Global gender disparities in science" (great interactive figures et la couverture médiatique en français)
- Latu et al. (2013) Journal of Experimental Social Psychology "Successful female leaders empower women's behavior in leadership tasks". See popular media stories here and here, amongst others.
- Maliniak et al. (2013) International Relations "The gender citation gap in International Relations" See a popular media story about this study
- Nature editorial (2013) "Gender progress (?)" (and see an inflammatory rebuttal letter that followed a month letter, along with Nature's apology for publishing said letter!)
- Nature editorial (2013) "End harassment: Sexual harassment is a stain on science — and we must all take a stand against it"
- Pettorelli et al. (2013) Animal Conservation "Addressing gender imbalances in Animal Conservation"
- Schroeder et al. (2013) Journal of Evolutionary Biology "Fewer invited talks by women in evolutionary biology symposia"
- Special issue (2013) Nature "Women in science: The gender gap and how to close it" (nearly a dozen articles)
- Wang et al. (2013) Psychological Science "Individual and Gender Differences in Choice of Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics"
- West et al. (2013) Physics and Society "The role of gender in scholarly authorship"
- Adamo (2012) BioScience "Attrition of Women in the Biological Sciences: Workload, Motherhood, and Other Explanations Revisited"
- Bonnetta (2012) Science "Reaching Gender Equity in Science: The Importance of Role Models and Mentors"
- Cameron et al. (2012) Trends in Ecology and Evolution "Is publication rate an equal opportunity metric?"
- Canetto et al (2012) Journal of Geoscience Education "Making Sense of the Atmospheric Science Gender Gap: Do Female and Male Graduate Students Have Different Career Motives, Goals, and Challenges?"
- Conley and Stadmark (2012) Nature "Gender matters: A call to commission more women writers"
- Ecklund et al. (2012) Gender & Society "Gender segregation in elite academic science"
- Gilbert (2012) Nature "Equal prospects for both sexes in science"
- Isbell et al. (2012) PLoS ONE "Stag parties linger: Continued gender bias in a female-rich scientific discipline"
- Kaminski and Geisler (2012) Science "Survival analysis of faculty retention in science and engineering by gender"
- McGuire et al. (2012) BioScience "Dramatic improvements and persistent challenges for women ecologists"
- Martin et al. (2012) Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment "Where are the women in ecology?"
- Moss-Racusin et al. (2012) PNAS "Science faculty’s subtle gender biases favor male students"
- Nature editorial (2012) "Nature's sexism" (about improving how Nature reflects women’s contributions to science)
- Pettorelli et al. (2012) Science Careers "Perspective: Embrace Flexible Work Arrangements"
- O'Brien and Hapgood (2012) Oikos "The academic jungle: ecosystem modelling reveals why women are driven out of research"
2011 and before
- Ceci and Williams (2011) PNAS "Understanding current causes of women's under-representation in science"
- Special Issue (2011) Interdisciplinary Science Reviews "Gender in science"
- Miyake et al. (2010) Science "Reducing the gender achievement gap in college science: A classroom study of values affirmation" including supplementary material to re-create this exercise in your classroom and a Prezi presentation **
- Hartten and LeMone (2010) Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc "AMS membership survey results: The evolution and current state of the atmospheric sciences "pipeline""
- Rohn (2010) Nature "Women scientists must speak out"
- Woolley et al. (2010) Science "Evidence for a Collective Intelligence Factor in the Performance of Human Groups" - including podcast interview
- Zakaib (2011) Nature "Science gender gap probed"
- Medera et al. (2009) Journal of Applied Psychology "Gender and Letters of Recommendation for Academia: Agentic and Communal Differences"
- Tucker et al (2009) Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc "Gender issues among academic AMS members: comparisons with the 1993 membership survey"
- Budden et al. (2008) TREE "Double-blind review favours increased representation of female authors" with response and response-to-response
- Schmader et al. (2007) Sex Roles "A Linguistic Comparison of Letters of Recommendation for Male and Female Chemistry and Biochemistry Job Applicants" (summarized by AWIS here)
- Michaels et al. (2001) Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc "Survey Results of Society Membership: The Face of Our Profession at the Threshold of the New Millennium"
- Wade (2001) Psychology of Women Quarterly "Women and salary negotiation: The costs of self-advocacy "